Random Quote Generator - Cos every site needs one

Sunday 2 March 2008

Site Performance/New Banner

LOADING Ok, so I had some complaints at how much time it takes the blog to load.  Mainly from one person, I'll leave you to guess who that is - it's pretty obvious.  I was told I crashed her browser with my blog.  PWNED.

She had a point though, I've tested it a few times and it does take quite a considerable time to load.  Well, that was before.  Hopefully I have dramatically improved the time in which it takes to load.  It should be faster now, since I've got rid of many things I didn't need but couldn't be asked to get rid of before.  Everything is simplified, somewhat.

The MP3 player is gone (how many of you used that anyway?), among a bunch of other things.

Hopefully, it'll provide a more streamlined experience - especially for you 56Kers since it seemed like it took forever for you guys.

The main problem with the blog, it seems, was my obsession of just wanting to "add more cowbell" as Rick (developer of PDN) would say.  He touched upon the subject here and it makes a lot of sense.  Adding more features and other crap doesn't necessarily make it better, sometimes you just destroy the experience for some people.

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupry

Believe it or not.  I learned the above quote through Civilsation.  XD

I'll try to simplify things more now too.  If you're interested here are some load time figures for the current format of the blog:

Connection Rate      Download Time

14.4K                        387.41 seconds

28.8K                        197.80 seconds

33.6K                        170.72 seconds

56K                           105.71 seconds

ISDN 128K                 38.06 seconds

T1 1.44Mbps             10.79 seconds

 

As you can see, it's still not terribly good but before I think it took T1 about 16/17 seconds to load the page.  That's a pretty significant improvement.

===

I've also got a new banner.  No trippy moving GIFs now.  Just pure and simple JPEG.

Here's a picture, if you are too lazy to scroll up:

Banner3

No comments:

Comments/Suggestions

How did you find out about my blog?
What do you like about this blog? Funny/insane humour
The awesome dude behind the blog
NINJAS (Me: WTF?)
The pretty colours... hehe... colours
Daily updates
Peeking into your life (Me: ... Stalker)
The media content (videos/pictures)
Being able to laugh at people I don't know
Nothing (Me: Why are you here?)
What do you think of the site layout,style, colours etc.? AWESOME! Couldn't be better.
Good. Just one or two places that need changing.
Ok, could improve some things.
Bad. Back to the drawing board for you...
Horrific... You gave my eyes cancer...
How many times do you visit this blog?
Any comments or suggestions on improving the site? - Include email/name if you want to be named in posts.
How many friends have you told about this awesome blog?
Do you think there should be more authors? More authors equals more updates. Nope. You're awesome, no one else will suffice.
I dunno. Maybe good. Maybe bad.
Yes. You're antics bore me now.
ONLY if the other author is similar to you.
ONLY if the other author is totally different.

website form generator